Locks & Keys for home or business
There are many locks for many specific purposes.
Putting together a functional door is not always an easy task. Our experience will assist you to make the best decision within your budget.
Function is the primary component in deciding on which lock is right for your door and application.
- Do people need to exit easily without a key?
- Does the door need to be self-latching?
- What typical usage will the lock be exposed to? High, Medium or Low usage.
- Will you want a restricted keying system to control who can get keys duplicated?
Primary functions of locksets generally include;
- Entrance_ key outside unlocks outside/inside handle, snib inside locks outside/inside handle
- Classroom_ key outside unlocks outside handle, inside handle always free to egress
- Storeroom_ key outside retracts latch only, inside handle always free to egress
- Office_ key outside unlocks outside handle, inside snib locks outside handle only, inside handle always free to egress
- Double cylinder_ key inside/outside locks/unlocks both inside/outside handles
- Privacy_ inside snib locks outside handles, external mechanism for emergency entry
- Passage_ both handles always free to turn
- Deadlock _ there are 2 types of deadlocks;
- Deadlatch_ when shut the deadlatch mechanism prevents “carding” the door open, normally associated with locks with a keyed outside handle
- Deadbolt_ a non-latching, key/snib driven security bolt
Additional to door locks are locking solutions for Gates, Cupboards, Letterboxes, Tool boxes, Electrical Cabinets, Drawers, Trailers, Lockers, and list goes on.
Today keys can have a wide interpretation for a locksmith.
- door lock keys
- automotive keys
- swipe cards and fobs
- radio frequency remotes
- code pads
- combination locks
Most people think of the metal keys dangling from your keyring when the word “key” is mentioned. FRANKsecure are professional key cutters. We can duplicate household generic keys, and we can cut keys to code, which means the key cut is NOT DUPLICATED but is like an originally manufactured key. We do this for most automotive keys and always for a registered master key.
Locksets are used extensively in residential and commercial situations. They are economical to buy and easy to install. There is a vast difference in the quality of lockset brands and in particular in the quality of the keyed cylinder. Many cheap locksets have trouble having keys duplicated that actually work in the lock due to the poor engineering of the cylinder tolerances. Buy smart, buy known brands or buy from your qualified locksmith.
Locksets have a defined function (see mortice locks for combination function locks);
- Entrance set ; deadlatch, keyed outside, snib inside
- Vestibule set ; normally deadlatch, keyed outside to retract latch only, free handle inside
- Patio set ; deadlatch, keyed outside and inside, either key locks/unlocks both handles or key retracts latch only
- Privacy set ; passage latch, snib inside, emergency open outside
- Passage set ; passage latch, free to enter / exit
- Classroom set ; deadlatch, keyed outside to unlock handle, free to exit inside
Locksets can be levers , knobs or a combination of lever/knob
Mortice locks are most commonly used in commercial situations due to their better durability and ability to change the function of the lock as door locking requirements change.
A mortice lock system is a built according to the requirements of the operation of the door;
- Select the base lock mechanism
- Select cylinders or turn snibs for either side of the lock
- Select lever, knob or handle lock furniture to operate the latch or deadbolt
Cam locks are used in many situations that have a very thin fixing surface such as sheet metal or particle board.
- letterbox locks
- metal cabinet locks
- drawer and cupboard locks
- tool boxes
One of the most versatile locking mechanisms available.
- hasps and staples
- floor staples
- trailer locks
- tool boxes
Variations from tiny padlocks through to large heavy duty padlocks with shielded sides.
Rekeyable padlocks allow us to provide multiple padlocks on the one key or to add a registered master key system for key issue control, pick-proofing and multi-user access.
Digital locks may be non-powered or battery powered.
Non-powered locks have a simple one code entry method.
Powered locks can be simple with multiple user codes or even extensive scheduling capabilities and time zoned access.
Our Salto range offer a fob / card entry system with features equivalent to fully integrated hard-wired access control systems.