Gold & Silver Bullion Stolen! This is not a security safe.
How to chose the right security safe for your place?
Don’t do what these Queensland residents did, and buy a cheap safe to store $20,000 of gold & silver bullion.
Recently a Brisbane family arrived home to find their place had been ransacked, including the easy break-in of their cheap safe.
Safes are truly the cheapest form of insurance, if you buy the right one!
We would strongly recommend starting to look at safes of a reasonable size (one 500 – 600mm high) for good storage space of your valuables, and your starting price price should be in the vicinity of $1,000.
Otherwise you are really only buying a glorified cash box (there are a few exceptions for quality steel plated safes under $1,000 but generally they have a very small storage capacity.
What are the security aspects of a safe?
The safe body:
single walled, double walled or triple walled safes
- overall thickness of the safe body
- torch & drill resistance of the body material
- fire resistance of the safe body fill
- quality of the build, by this I mean the welding quality and quality of the joins
The safe door:
- thickness of the door
- the quality of the hinges to resist attack
- dogging security to support any hinge attack
- drill resistant hard plate to protect safe locks and relocking devices
- relocking devices?
- over-ride opening locks… some people want these but for me it means another weak point vulnerable to attack
The safe lock:
- quality brand
- digital vs dial vs key locking safe locks
- choose a digital safe lock for;
- convenience and speed of opening,
- particularly if opening the safe multiple time a day or week
- if you require special functions & features such as time delay or multiple user codes or audit trail
- keyless entry
- choose a dial safe lock for;
- you fear electronic locking devices
- less chance of someone trying to manipulate the lock
- mechanical reliability
- keyless entry
- choose a key lock for;
- simple opening procedure
- can’t remember codes (dial or digital)
- but be sure to secure the safe key when not in use
- unfortunately safe keys are normally larger than our standard home keys
- Posted on 16-01-14
- Posted in Safes